Saturday, June 09, 2012
I get a photo op with the legendary Colin Mochrie and his improv partner/real-life wife Debra McGrath, and it ends up looking like one of those carnival midway pictures where you place your head in a hole cut out of a pre-cast stock photo...
I can assure you of several things:
1) They are not the over-sized giants they appear to be,
2) I am nowhere near as tiny in person as I appear in this photo,
3) The two are absolutely hilarious - like a micro-version of "Whose Line Is It Anyway", which has almost become code (or at least the gold standard) for professional live improv.
Mr. Mochrie and his spouse (whom you may recognize most recently from CBC-TV's "Little Mosque On The Prairie") tore up the stage of Vitalize 2012 up last night, with about 90 minutes of live comedy involving audience participation, proving a few more things:
1) They are both masters of their craft,
2) Audience members are to some degree unpredictable, but capable of providing comedy gold,
3) Even when kids are involved, the most common improv suggestions involve sex, drugs, and awkwardness.
Last night I could check off one more member of the cast of that classic TV improv show that I wanted to see live. I think the only one I have left now is Wayne Brady - so you are officially on notice, sir...
The chicken returns tomorrow...
Chow for now!